Even when creating balanced meals, sneaking in additional nutrients throughout the day in the form of healthy snacks provides substantial benefits.
HEALTHY SNACKING VS TREATS:
Treats: satisfy a craving, but rarely satisfy hunger
Healthy snacking: nutrient-rich combinations that provide fiber, whole grains, lean proteins, and/or healthy fats to satisfy hunger
FACTORS to consider during snack selection?
Time of day
Pre- or post-workout
1. PLAN ahead (spending ~5 minutes each night can support healthy snacking for the following day)
2. Develop a ROUTINE (athletes need fuel every 2-3 hour support performance and recovery)
3. Make snacks a PRIORITY (in just a few minutes you can consume a quick, nutrient- dense snack)
TYPES OF SNACKS:
Light snacks: fruit, veggies, yogurt, or granola bar
- only make up ☝️ macronutrient
Moderate snacks: fruit with peanut butter, trail mix, string cheese, veggies with hummus, low-fat milk, fruit smoothie
- make up at least ✌️ macronutrients for optimal satiation
Substantial snacks: sandwich or bagel with peanut butter or
grilled chicken, cheese with crackers
- a small meal
Not ALL treats need to be removed from the diet🙅♀️, it is mainly important to be HONEST with your body’s needs and in tune with the nutrients you consume!
Until next time,
Your RD Fuel Good Experts🍍